Free all afternoon for the upstairs and downstairs events, and
Free for Shout Brother on the main level at 5pm!!
Pass the hat for CKCU FM 93.1 Canada’s Best Radio Station, The Mighty 93!
Broadcasting within a 100 km radius on FM 93.1 and around the world on ckcufm.com, CKCU animates, celebrates and connects the community with more than 100 top quality programs each week. Find out more…
All downstairs events are learning/participation events
- 12:00 Playback Theatre
- Improv with heart! Playback tells your story! Playback Theatre is a form of grassroots improvisational theatre based on the spontaneous enactment of personal stories. It invites true stories from its audience and brings these to life through the magic of drama, music, voice and movement. Find out more…
- 1:30 Mouvement :: yoga danse musique
- This interactive workshop facilitated by Tatiana & Joël of Mouvement, integrates movement and rhythm. No experience necessary. Come as you are. Find out more…
- 2:30 Bytown Ukulele Group (BUG)
- Come and see why the ukulele is taking the world by storm! Join BUG for a rousing sing-a-long – AND we’ll have ukuleles for you to try out! Find out more…
- 3:30 Contra Dancing (check out www.ottawacontra.ca)
- Come try contra dancing at the Ottawa Grassroots Festival! We’ll give you a basic intro to contra and get you dancing right away. Find out more…
- 12:00 Elage Mbaye
- A well-known Ottawa musician who plays African drums and who performs with the Mighty Popo band, will be putting on a workshop teaching kids how to make simple musical instruments out of everyday items. Elage will also be demonstrating African drumming and kids and adults can play along with Elage, so bring your djembe.
- 12:45 Albert Dumont
- Albert will be telling an Aboriginal story, suitable for children.
- 1:00 Spirit of Rasputin’s Kids Open Stage
- 1:30 Spirit of Rasputin’s Adult Open Stage
- Anyone with a portable musical instrument is welcome to sign up to perform one or two songs, depending on the number of applicants and the length of their material. A piano is available if required. Find out more…
- 3:00 Ana Miura
- Doors continue to open wide for Ottawa singer/songwriter Ana Miura since performing alongside the likes of Bruce Cockburn, Steven Page (former Barenaked Ladies) and Joel Plaskett. Find out more…
- 4:00 Maple Hill Workshop: How to Build Your Own Band
- Come learn how to put your band together, learn how the different instruments work together, how to integrate rhythms, and to support the lead singer. Learn how to set up harmonies, and a few other simple approaches to improve the overall sound. This workshop is of interest to musicians and listeners who are interested in knowing how it all works. Find out more…
- 5:00pm Shout Brother
- An all male choir in the tradition of the popular Shout Sister choirs. Find out more…
Tickets required. $25 in advance, $30 at the door. Available at the Ottawa Folklore Centre, or online
- 8:00 pm Rick Fines with Katherine Wheatley. Missy Burgess opening.
The evening will begin with a short presentation by Albert Dumont. Albert is an Aboriginal spiritual advisor, poet, speaker, writer, mentor, artist and much more. He is a popular and acclaimed speaker. Whether you have heard him speak before or you haven’t, you will find this fascinating.
No assigned seating; doors open 7:30 pm.