Wendell Ferguson started playing guitar at 7 years old. As he says, “It’s taken me over 40 years to become a child prodigy.”
He’s played and recorded with some pretty big names in the business, straddling several genres. Shania Twain, The Dixie Chicks, Gordon Lightfoot, Sylvia Tyson, Keith Urban, Jane Siberry, Patty Loveless, Emmylou Harris, Quartette, James Keelaghan, Cindy Church, Terri Clark, Tommy Emmanuel, Paul Brandt, Bob Snider, Katherine Wheatley, Suzie Vinnick, Lynn Miles, Prairie Oyster… the list is endless.
He’s won the CCMA Guitar Player of the Year 6 times (1995 to 2001). Received a Juno nomination for his band Coda the West. Plus his live CD “The $#!T Hits The Fans” was nominated for the Album of the Year (2006 CCMAs). “Ménage A Moi” is his first all instrumental CD and it’s aptly named. He played all the instruments on it himself and recorded it in his home studio. It’s a throwback to his guitar heroes, Chet Atkins, Merle Travis and Jerry Reed. All original tunes with the focus on melody. Because as he says, “If you can’t sing it, whistle it or hum it, it ain’t much of a tune.” The album won the 2010 Canadian Folk Music Award for “Best Instrumental Album”. Wendell has garnered 9 CCMA Awards, an OCPFA Lifetime Musician Award and was twice nominated for a JUNO. He is proud to be appearing at Ottawa Grassroots Festival.
- Wendell won the “Guitar Player of the Year” so many times (7) they retired him. He’s no longer eligible.
- Wendell was nominated for the “Album of the Year” at the 2006 CCMA Awards
- Wendell Co-hosted the 2005 CCMA Awards show with Paul Brandt. The show was nominated for a Genie Award.
- Wendell has won the CCMA’s Guitarist of the year for 2000-2001.
- Wendell has won the Canadian Country Music Associations’ “Guitar Player of the Year” 1995-’96-’97-’98-’99.
- Was nominated for the CCMA “Vocal Collaboration of the Year” for the duet with Prairie Oysters’ Russell deCarle for “If You’re Gonna Be A Cowboy” in 1999.
- Along with “Coda The West” and “The Duane Steele Band”, won the C.C.M.A’s “Back up Band of the Year” 1994-95-97
- Was nominated for a Juno award for “Country Duo or Group” in 1995 with “Coda the West”
- Has backed up “country” artists such as; George Fox, Duane Steele, Shania Twain, Lisa Brokop, Michelle Wright, Tommy Hunter, Al Cherney, Deana Carter, Tracy Byrd, Mila Mason, Chely Wright, Matraca Berg, The Dixie Chicks, The Arrogant Worms, Jason McCoy, and countless more.
- Has recorded with – Duane Steele, Gil Grand, George Fox, Coda The West , Kelita, Quartette, Cindy Church, Murry McLauchlan, Bob Snider, Katherine Wheatley, Gordon Lightfoot, Don Freed, Jane Siberry, James Keelaghan, Bill Candy and many more.
- Can be seen touring the country with Duane Steele, Quartette, Katherine Wheatley , Cindy Church and Susie Vinnick.